Makes six servings.
- 2 Tbsp. non-dairy butter
- 1 Tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups vegetable broth (low-sodium)
- 1 large organic russet potato, diced
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, plus to taste
- 1/2 tsp finely ground black pepper plus to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1/4 cup soy creamer
- Croutons for topping (optional)
- Preheat a large (6-quart) pot. Add butter, flour, onion and garlic and saute over medium heat for about 3-4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add fresh and canned tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add vegetable broth, potatoes, sea salt, black pepper and cinnamon. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, partially covered for about 20 minutes, or until the potatoes are very tender. Add lemon juice, agave and creamer.
- Blend soup with an immersion blender, or in a blender with the middle section of the lid removed. If using an blender, place a dish towel over the top of blender to prevent spillage. Season to taste with sea salt and black pepper. Serve warm and top with croutons if using.
Recipe and photo from Spork-Fed by Jenny Engle and Heather Goldberg.