Makes 5 to 7 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups non-hydrogenated vegan margarine
- 3/4 cup Sucanat
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4-1/2 cups unbleached flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Optional toppings: chopped dried fruits, Raisins, chopped nuts, etc.
- In a large bowl, beat together the margarine, sugar, water, peanut butter and vanilla until light and creamy. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well to form a smooth dough. Cover and chill for 1 hour or until firm. Divide the dough in half, work with one half at a time, and keep the remaining dough covered.
- On a floured work surface, roll the dough out to desired thickness (1/8-inch for crispy cookies or 1/4-inch for soft), cut into shapes with a knife or cookie cutters, and carefully transfer the cookies with a spatula to ungreased cookie sheets. The cookies can be left plain, or before baking, sprinkle with any of the suggested toppings on top of the cookies, and gently press with your fingers to help the toppings stick to the dough, or decorate with frosting after baking.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Allow the cookies to cool slightly before transferring to a rack to cool completely. Store in an air-tight container.
Check out this alternate version with mini kisses!
Recipe courtesy of Beverly Lynn Bennett and Veg News.